Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When "Cover Up" Doesn't Cover It

I am a 35 year old mother of 4. Years of smoking (I am reformed) and sunworshiping have left my face looking older....yet somehow not really wiser(?)

I have been doing a lot of thinking about my face. Well, not so much my face, but the creepy little spots that have begun to take over it. And the lines. The lines that are slowly making their way from the corners of my eyes to the hairline that frame my temples. And lets not ignore the smile lines that keep the corners of my mouth company. They are not dissimilar to the marionettes that sung and danced during the goat herd scene in "The Sound of Music". (that reminds me...my hills are not alive...we'll get to that in the body blog at a later time.)

What (whom) really brought this to fruition, was my 6 year old daughter. She was watching me apply my cover up....the one I use for the "worst" blemishes on my face. I was dotting it on and with each speck I commentated: "icky spot....icky spot...icky spot...etc." She looked at me and revealed "Mommy....you should just put it on your whole face".

I should start with the smile lines. I must have been an extremely happy person throughout my 35 years, as only years of bliss could result in lines this deep. (hence the reason I do not refer to them as frown lines). (side note: I should have dropped out of school in the 5th grade, gotten married and had kids...that would have solved THAT problem).

The irony of this problem is that the thinner I get, the worse they look. So, I have had to choose the lesser of two evils....a slightly more heavy yet smooth face, or a thinner face (which, by the way, goes with a thinner body) wrought with smiles lines. I am not exaggerating here....one day, a woman I know had her laugh lines done. She was so thrilled about it, that she told me I was the first person she thought of...and she handed me a business card. Balls.

I will also admit, that there was a period of time whereas each time I was in my car, I would keep my cheeks filled with air like a puffer fish so that by the time I arrived at my destination, the lines would be stretched out enough to be barely visible. And yes, I came up with the brilliant idea myself.
(I can only imagine what passers by thought...possibly that I was about to lose my lunch...and was awaiting the very next stop light....ewww)

I have spent approximately $6,322.18 on face creams promising to "erase" the lines and wrinkles that are taking over. Can you believe that the products sold via your television at 3'o'clock am don't deliver what they promise? (Now that I think about it, I have had several dates back in the day where I swear I had the same thought.)

The "AGE SPOTS"....I like to think of them as "SUN" Spots...it makes me feel younger. It began a few months ago when I noticed a little brown spot..about the size of a chic pea, approximately an inch and a half southwest of my left eye. I had been restaining a cabinet so naturally, I though it was stain. (or maybe even some hair color residue from a couple of nights prior)

I started with a makeup remover wipe. Nothing. I moved onto a facial scrub. Nothing. Lastly, a "do it yourself" chemical peel. This opened me up to a whole new set of problems.....I looked eerily similar to MJ during his transition to caucasion (RIP). (note to self: if a product says "do it yourself" and "chemical" in the same sentence, put it in a ziploc baggie and call the proper hazmat authorities in your area).

There is not a salon, or doctors office (even the dentist) That is not pushing and advertising botox, restylane injections, chemical peels, and microderm abrasion. They have made it as easy as driving up to your local fast food restaurant.

drive up nurse: "Welcome to FREEZE YOUR FACE drive thru where facial expressions
are so 1990's. May I take your order?"

me : "Umm...yes..I'd like that botulism bacteria".

drive up nurse: "Sure Ma'am, would you like microderm abrasion on the side? We have
medium or fine grade sandpaper..or you can get super coarse for an additional $25".


So here I am. Do I embrace the face, Or do I fight it? What would be my motivation for joining the many who are fighting? Would I be doing it for myself? My husband? Your husband? (JK) Truth be told, I think women try and look their best for other women.

In closing, I think, at least for now, I will continue to keep Sephora's stock up. Also, I somewhat enjoy the daily challenge - and it's a little bit if science class and art class simultaniously taking place on my face.

PLEASE, however...If I EVER begin to look "TAMMY FAYE BAKERish" let me know. I am not all against the idea of someone shooting poison into my forehead ....I'd rather look like a wax figure than a circus clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment