Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lack of Sleep...and how it almost caused a tragedy

I decided that in order to make my blog at all useful, I will try my best to include a lesson...a lesson that cannot be taught but with ones own experience.


SLEEP, noun
to take a rest afforded by suspension of voluntary bodily functions, and the natural suspension, complete, or partial, of consciousness.

Sounds simple. Most of us do it. Most without giving it a second thought. Nighttime rolls around- our day winds down... Maybe we relax with our favorite shows, a book, perhaps a glass of wine.

THE CAUSE
lack of sleep

Now, those of us with children...specifically infants (or teenagers) would like to slap all you normal "sleepers" in the back of the head..,because we are SURE you take your slumber for granted. (OK, that was harsh...it was my lack of sleep brain lashing out.)


I am sure that there are dozens of clinical publishing's, studies, scientific information regarding sleep. The result of not getting enough sleep, what your brain looks like etc. But what about the Lay man....the everyday mother who has been up with a sleepless infant?

.

THE RESULTING PROBLEM
just this week, I almost poisoned my own little baby

It was Monday morning....Emma had been up most of the night. Ava had awakened early enough that rather than screaming at her to get dressed because school is starting in 10 minutes, I was able to use her to babysit so that I could partake in the other elusive activity...."the shower".

Anyhooo, I digress. I get in the shower. One would think that a shower would wake a gal up. It did, a bit, I guess. However, one of my eyeballs was glued shut...due to the exhaustion and all. I stumble to my room. (its still a little dark, by the way) I reach for the baby powder (I like to powder up a bit after a shower....it cuts the dry time by at least 25%). After the first sprinkle, I think to myself. "hmmm...smells a little off..." YA KNOW WHY....YA WANNA KNOW WHY??? BECAUSE I DIDN'T GRAB THE BABY POWDER.....I GRABBED CARPET FRESH!!! Now, it wasn't all bad. A good dose landed on the carpet giving my cause to vacuum later on. (I'm a half glass full type)

Normally, i wouldn't make such a big deal of it...however, since I am a breastfeeding mother, I thought there was a possibly of poisoning my baby (although it would've been her fault just a little...wait..did i say that?)

THE SOLUTION

Back in the shower I went....I did, after all, have approximately 2 minutes and 35 seconds before the neighborhood kids were in my living room awaiting the ride to school.


THE LESSON

Taking 2 showers in the morning is highly recommended. I was definitely awake.


(bet you didn't see that coming....don't worry, I'll get better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment